Word.Tips.Net WordTips (Menu Interface)

Replacing Long Blocks of Text

Word has a very powerful search-and-replace function. There may be times when you want to replace short blocks of text with long blocks of text, or when you want to replace text with a non-text item (such as a graphic). To do this, follow these steps:

  1. Copy what you want to use as a replacement to the Clipboard.
  2. Choose Replace from the Edit menu. You see the Find and Replace dialog box. (See Figure 1.)
  3. Figure 1. The Find and Replace dialog box.

  4. In the Find What box, enter the text you want replaced.
  5. In the Replace With box, enter ^c. This instructs Word to use the Clipboard contents as the replacement.
  6. Click on Find Next.
  7. Make replacements as desired.

This technique is great if your replacement text contains more than 255 characters, since the contents of the Replace With box must be less than 255 characters.

WordTips is your source for cost-effective Microsoft Word training. (Microsoft Word is the most popular word processing software in the world.) This tip (21) applies to Microsoft Word 97, 2000, 2002, and 2003.

Related Tips:

The First and Last Word on Word! Bestselling For Dummies author Dan Gookin puts his usual fun and friendly candor back to work to show you how to navigate Word 2013. Spend more time working and less time trying to figure it all out! Check out Word 2013 For Dummies today!


Leave your own comment:

  Notify me about new comments ONLY FOR THIS TIP
Notify me about new comments ANYWHERE ON THIS SITE
Hide my email address
*What is 5+3 (To prevent automated submissions and spam.)
           Commenting Terms

Comments for this tip:

Ron    16 Dec 2015, 23:22
Great tip, you saved me a lot of editing
Many thanks
Phil    31 Jan 2013, 17:39
This tip does not actually tell how to "replace long blocks of text". Rather it tells how to replace a text string with a long block of text, or other feature.

Since the ^c isn't valid in the find box, is there a way to actually find long blocks and then replace them?

I seem to remember using wildcards in the past, but don't know if this would work.


Our Company

Sharon Parq Associates, Inc.

About Tips.Net

Contact Us


Advertise with Us

Our Privacy Policy

Our Sites


Beauty and Style




DriveTips (Google Drive)

ExcelTips (Excel 97–2003)

ExcelTips (Excel 2007–2016)



Home Improvement

Money and Finances


Pests and Bugs

Pets and Animals

WindowsTips (Microsoft Windows)

WordTips (Word 97–2003)

WordTips (Word 2007–2016)

Our Products

Helpful E-books

Newsletter Archives


Excel Products

Word Products

Our Authors

Author Index

Write for Tips.Net

Copyright © 2016 Sharon Parq Associates, Inc.